The aim of this programme is the funding of bi-national doctoral projects at the home university and at a university in Germany. This grant offers funding in two possible avenues – the sandwich model in which the candidate would be awarded the doctorate by the host institution in India; and the Cotutelle model in which the candidate would be jointly awarded the doctorate by the host institutions in India and Germany.
Depending on the nature of the project:
a. Bi-national supervision following the “sandwich model”: Applicants who have completed a Master’s degree or Diploma (in exceptional cases a Bachelor’s degree) at the latest by the beginning of their scholarship
b. “Cotutelle” procedure: Applicants who have admission to a doctoral programme at the latest by the beginning of their scholarship
• Monthly payments for doctoral candidates during the stay in Germany: €1200
• Payments towards health, accident and personal liability insurance cover
• Travel allowance, unless these expenses are covered by the home country or another source of funding
• One-off research allowance
• Travel and accommodation expenses according to the German Federal Travel Expenses Law for supervising university teachers for one trip of up to 10 days
The maximum duration for the research grant is two years.
The application opens once a year.