The Academy of Medical Sciences, in partnership with the Royal Society and the British Academy, offers Newton International Fellowships to support early career international researchers from partner countries with an opportunity to build links and undertake a research project for an ex- tended period with leading researchers in the UK.
The fellowship is offered in partnership with the Department of Biotechnology, India to support the development and training of postdoctoral researchers from India at an early stage of their career.
• Applicants having a PhD or in the final stage of their PhD provided that it will be completed (including viva) before the start date of the fellowship.
• Applicants who have obtained a PhD from India and are located in India at the time of application.
• Affiliation: All Indian institutes/universities funded by central/state governments, and all not-for-profit research organizations.
• No more than 4 years of active full-time postdoctoral experience at the time of application
(discounting career breaks, but including teaching experience and/or time spent in industry)
• Applicants having a clearly defined, mutually-beneficial, and interdependent research proposal agreed with both UK and Indian co-applicants.
• Not eligible — Applicants holding UK citizenship.
AMS funding (Years 1 and 2) will consist of:
• £24,000 per year for subsistence costs (tax-exempt)
• up to £8,000 per year for consumables
• A one-off payment of up to £2,000 for relocation expenses in Year 1 only
• A contribution equal to 50 % of total award to enable the UK host institution to host a Fellowship
DBT Funding (Year 3) will consist of:
• Monthly subsistence at ₹67,000 + HRA
• Consumable grant of ₹2,00,000
• A sum of ₹50,000 to the home institution for covering access to resources, facilities and infrastructure by the fellow
• A contingency grant of ₹30,000
• A travel grant of ₹50,000 for attending domestic conferences/ delivering talks etc.
• Travel grant of ₹1,00,000 to enable the Awardee to visit India during Years 1 and 2 to attend training/evaluation/workshops organized by the DBT
The total duration of the fellowship will be 36 months. The fellow will spend the first 24 months in the UK followed by 12 months in India.
The application opens once a year.
http://dbtindia.gov.in/latest-announcem ... ostdoctor- al-research