PharmD Info

A forum for Indian Pharmacy Professionals

Interested in Pharm D Course? (Doctor of Pharmacy) related details, PharmD Syllabus, Career Opportunities, Courses After PharmD in India, Frequently Asked Questions.
Forum rules: General rules are applicable for this forum- Find Here
As per Pharmacy Council of India PCI, PharmD ( Doctor of Pharmacy) course related details for Admission, Curriculum and other were mentioned here. If you have further questions related to PharmD course feel free to post your questions on this section.

1. What is Pharm.D course?

Pharm.D course is a Professional Pharmacy doctoral programme of 6 years duration after 10+2 (science academic stream) which includes 5yrs of academic study + 1 year of internship or residency.

2. What is Pharm.D (Post Baccalaureate)?

Pharm.D (PB) course is a Professional Pharmacy doctoral Programme. B.Pharm graduates shall be admitted as lateral entry candidate to the 4th year of Pharm.D programme & the duration of course is 3 academic years (2yrs of study and 1 year of internship or residency).

3. What are the eligibility criteria to join Pharm.D courses?

For Pharm.D:

i) A pass in 10+2 examination with Physics and Chemistry as compulsory subjects along with one of the following subjects: Mathematics or Biology.
ii) A pass in D.Pharm course from an institution approved by the Pharmacy council of India under section 12 of The Pharmacy Act.

For Pharm.D (Post Baccalaureate):

i) A pass in B.Pharm from an institution approved by the Pharmacy Council of India under section 12 of the Pharmacy Act.

4. How many numbers of admissions will be made by the institution for the Pharm.D and Pharm.D (Post Baccalaureate)?

Number of admissions for the Pharm.D program shall be as prescribed by the Pharmacy Council of India from time to time and presently it is restricted to 30 student’s intake for Pharm.D & 10 students for Pharm D (PB) per academic year.

5. What is the course content of Pharm.D programs?

For detailed course content (syllabus) see: PharmD Regulations 2008. PCI website: www.pci.nic.in

6. Whether the Pharm.D is an approved qualification?

Yes, Pharm.D is an approved qualification under the Pharmacy Act 1948.

7. In what way Pharm.D differs from regular B.Pharm?

Both B.Pharm and Pharm D are the registrable qualification for practicing pharmacy profession under the Pharmacy Act. B.Pharm is a 4 years course and Pharm D is 6 years course including one year of clinical internship.

Pharmacy practice component in all spheres of Pharmacy professional services like Hospital & Clinical Pharmacy, Community Pharmacy, clinical research, regulatory, formulation development, quality control are emphasized in Pharm D programme and after Pharm D qualification the professionals are eligib le to undertake Ph.D. programme.

8. After completion of Pharm D am I eligible for Ph.D.?

Yes. After Pharm.D the candidate is eligible to register for Ph.D.

9. Can I prefix Dr to my name?

Yes, for the purpose of practicing Pharmacy Profession under Pharmacy Act.
Last bumped by Admin on 09 Jan 2019, 12:06.

In the dynamic world of pharmaceuticals, mergers a[…]

PharmD Info - Highlights