The National Formulary of India 2021 act as a guidance document for all the healthcare professionals such as clinicians, pharmacists, nurses, dentists. The use of NFI 2021 in daily clinical practices will play a crucial role not only in promoting the rational use of medications, but also infuses the necessary knowledge and best inventory control practices of essential medications.
Further, the wider the utilisation of the NFI by the healthcare professionals, the deeper would be the insights gained and fortifies the upcoming editions for the benefit of safe and quality use of medicine.
Updates in National Formulary of India, 2021
- The sixth edition has a new addend which is not found on previous editions. That is, it has included “How to use National Formulary of India” page and also its salient features.
- The sixth edition includes only those drugs that are approved by the Central Drugs Standard Control Organization (CDSCO), the drug regulator of the country.
- The term availability has been replaced with dosage forms and usual strength.
- National List of Essential Medicines includes information about the drugs banned in the country.
- The National Formulary of India helps to understand about the impact and side effects of different medicines.